Decking Timber Identification

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

I have a job to make good some existing decking including the replacement of some rotten noards. The deck has now been cleaned but I am having trouble indentifing what the timber it is.

It looks a bit like hardwood but some sections are badly rotten, so maybe it’s softwood?

Confused.

See pics attached.

Wow that’s some old timber, its probably pine of some sort but I couldn’t be sure due to the rot and damage.

Do you need to know so you can replace like for like? If you are creating another decking I would recommend using a hardwood, Ipe or perhaps Iroko… 

cheers

K

Unfortunately the client just wants us to make good for the time being, otherwise I alsways recommend Ipe for new decks. Prob go for a softwood then althoug it willstick out like a sore thumb, prob best to Netrol clean the whole deck then to stain/oil the whole thing. Do you agree?

I recon you are right, it is in very bad shape, looks rather dangerous and to be honest if the image represents the quality of the timber I should possibly be condemned. What is the substructure like? If the structure is that bed then it should possible be replaced. 

Maybe best to get something in writing and I would recommend taking plenty of images to safeguard you against any comeback.

Cheers

K

Jeremy Bevan said:

Unfortunately the client just wants us to make good for the time being, otherwise I alsways recommend Ipe for new decks. Prob go for a softwood then althoug it willstick out like a sore thumb, prob best to Netrol clean the whole deck then to stain/oil the whole thing. Do you agree?

Good advice – thanks Karl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.