Removing old, failing decking ‘paint’

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Any advice on best way to remove what looks like decking paint from a deck, prior to re-treating. It is flaking off already so am considering wetting and scraping off, but is there a better way, possibly a chemical treatment that would do this more easily/effectively?

I would recommend Prepdeck stripper by Owatrol (7 sqm /litre), let this product soak in and the lighty scrub – rinse with water

Then neutralize with Net-trol (7 sq m/litre), again light scrub after soaking the entire deck, rinse with water

Finaly let your deck dry completely and oil with Textrol (12 sq m/litre) for a soft wood or D1 Pro for a hardwood (5-7 sq m/litre).

Let me know if you need any more info…

You can buy these products here 

Thanks Karl, good, pertinent and prompt info as usual. I will recommend to clients and see what they say.

Decking Decor
    Participant

Hi Jeremy

I would back up what Karl has said but rather than the 7sqm’s per litre I would work on 4sqm’s per litre when stripping with Prepdeck and use Net-trol undiluted. For stripping work in areas that you can strip in 20/30 minutes and use a garden sprayer with a fan head, to apply the Prepdeck – it’s the most efficient way. In general before starting the work I always carry out 2 tests, the first on the parts where the coating is the least damaged, the second where the coating is the most damaged. These tests will determine the contact time required for the condition of the coating to be stripped and help to minimise or avoid the darkening (if it’s a hardwood or wood high in tannins) and furring of the wood.

As soon as you have stripped an area and rinsed it apply the Net-trol and leave to sit until the wood has lightened but for at least 15 minutes, if you leave it on longer it doesn’t matter since Net-trol will not harm the timber. If you do not have a powerwasher, then a good quality scrubbing brush and hose with good pressure will work. Hot water will also help. By the way DO NOT use a natural bristle scrubbing brush, Prepdeck will soften it. I own one of these  http://www.wolman.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=19 and its brilliant, 5 year and it’s still going strong. Couple of other tips for you; Prepdeck is very slippy to walk on so be careful. Also after you have applied it, leave it 5 minutes then scrub (not heavily) the Prepdeck treated surface this will help to work it into the coating and help with the stripping. This is one bit where the slippiness of Prepdeck helps as you can skate across the surface while scrubbing.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the very helpful input Thomas. Am emailing client with a quote today.

Thomas Rathbone said:

Hi Jeremy

I would back up what Karl has said but rather than the 7sqm’s per litre I would work on 4sqm’s per litre when stripping with Prepdeck and use Net-trol undiluted. For stripping work in areas that you can strip in 20/30 minutes and use a garden sprayer with a fan head, to apply the Prepdeck – it’s the most efficient way. In general before starting the work I always carry out 2 tests, the first on the parts where the coating is the least damaged, the second where the coating is the most damaged. These tests will determine the contact time required for the condition of the coating to be stripped and help to minimise or avoid the darkening (if it’s a hardwood or wood high in tannins) and furring of the wood.

As soon as you have stripped an area and rinsed it apply the Net-trol and leave to sit until the wood has lightened but for at least 15 minutes, if you leave it on longer it doesn’t matter since Net-trol will not harm the timber. If you do not have a powerwasher, then a good quality scrubbing brush and hose with good pressure will work. Hot water will also help. By the way DO NOT use a natural bristle scrubbing brush, Prepdeck will soften it. I own one of these  http://www.wolman.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=19 and its brilliant, 5 year and it’s still going strong. Couple of other tips for you; Prepdeck is very slippy to walk on so be careful. Also after you have applied it, leave it 5 minutes then scrub (not heavily) the Prepdeck treated surface this will help to work it into the coating and help with the stripping. This is one bit where the slippiness of Prepdeck helps as you can skate across the surface while scrubbing.

Hope this helps

Can either of you confirm the coverage of D1 Pro on a hardwood deck? The tin, admittedly for boat timbers, says 1- 1.5 Sq M/L, you say 5 -7 Sq M/L??

Thanks

Coverage : 8 to 12m²/l (Per coat) Coverage: 8 to 12m ² / l (Per coat)

Multicoat coverage : 1 to 4m²/l Multicoat coverage: 1 to 4 m² / l

Application tools : roller – brush – airless spray Application tools: Roller – brush – airless spray

Application temperature : 5°C to +35°C Application temperature: 5 ° C to +35 ° C

Drying : 24 h. Drying: 24 h.

Setting up time before use : 1 to 3 hours. Setting up Time Before use: 1 to 3 days.

Clean-up : White-spirit Clean-up: White spirit

This is the advice lable from Owatrol for D1 Pro, in our experience we normally would expect 5-7 sq m per litre.

I hope this helps

Karl

Thanks Karl – yes that helps and reassures.

Jeremy

Hardydeck Outlet
    Participant

there is just no single straight forward answer to this question, you can apply chemicals, you can sand, you can just pressure hose it with water, it all depends on your actual coating and the wood which is underneath.

If you use some chemical , then this may create stains and then when your coating is gone, your decking has now a problem with stains, which are either superficial or profound. Then you can use bleach, but this may degrade your valuable wood. Anyhow, what to do, depends on you, but if your deck is expensive then we recommend a professional deck renovating company. It is really not that simple.

As a hardwood exporter (both decking and flooring) we do receive questions in respect of installing and finishing and for the future maintenance and cleaning, here we have listed the different kind of stains on your deckingand advise on how to remove them and further advise on cleaning in particular with respect to a product called sodium percarbonate which is good for removing from your deck the mold, dirt and dead grayed-out grains

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.