Forget decking and water features – horticultural maverick Piet Oudolf has the blueprint for the garden of the future

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

After reading the article in the Mail Online, I thought a healthy discussion would widen this broad statement.

I am all for the world of horticulture, the colours, textures and very many flowers and the way do have an important place in our gardens. To say that we should forget decking and water features is a little too much.

What do you recon?

Karl

Stuart Marler
    Participant

I agree that we need to bring in colours and the more natural they are the better. By this I mean bring in natural beauty, plants, flowers and within this is of course natural wood and water.

His write up is interesting but a bit blase and based at people with larger gardns, larger budgets and time on their hands to devote to the extra maintenance and care.

Its not an ideal world Piet!

gallagher carpentry
    Participant

every garden needs an entertainment space!decks, water features, swimming pools, patio”s, pizza ovens… are an important part of the outdoor experience of your home.

Interesting debate.  I have read the article by Tim Richardson, but I’m familiar with Piet Oudolf’s work as well.  He does actually use decking, water features and other materials like stone paving in many of his designs.  Although he uses a lot of planting – he’s not just about planting! (Piet Oudolf’s site).  So I think Tim Richardson’s article is misleading.

I think it’s about getting the balance right.  Decking is a useful material and has a place in all gardens irrespective of size. It can be an effective foil to planting and paving.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mel

I agree totally about your reference to balance, decking and its uses. The press leave a lot to be desired with respect to interpreting what the interviewee actually says in responce to questions.

I have looked at his website and does have a wide appreciation for the plethora of materials out there…

Karl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.