Do we need planning laws for decking in the UK?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

A family had moved into a house and short while later the local authority demanded their garden decking be be dismantled. The decking structure had already been in place for 10 years? The owner then appealed and asked the government in intervine; a reporter was enroled by the government to inspect the decking structure, he over ruled the local authority and said the decking could stay.

The local authority is now challenging the government over this decision.

Would this have been avoided if we had full planning requirements for decking installations, should we then consider the wider context of garden development and say that any development in your garden is subject to planning?

Your thoughts…

Stuart Marler
    Participant

I do not think we need full planning requirements for all decking. There are rules in place for decks of certain heights etc. and these are enough for the time being.

If there were more rules and planning application for all decking, then this would need to be introduced across the rest of landscaping projects. Why have one rule for decking and not for a patio for instance?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I presumed you needed planning for any permenant structure and there are also planning issues for brick walls as they are permenant structures

your thoughts

Karl

Stuart Marler said:

I do not think we need full planning requirements for all decking. There are rules in place for decks of certain heights etc. and these are enough for the time being.

If there were more rules and planning application for all decking, then this would need to be introduced across the rest of landscaping projects. Why have one rule for decking and not for a patio for instance?

Holland Landscapes
    Participant

I guess it depends on the structure. Brick walls can be up to 2 metres high on a boundary line. I know that any non permanent structures, for example sheds, can be up to 4 metres high.

We have got an issue with a proposed deck at the moment. It is in our clients back garden but their back garden goes between two neighbours front gardens. Im meeting with an architect today. I will let you know what he thinks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brilliant

cheers

Karl

Paul Baker said:

I guess it depends on the structure. Brick walls can be up to 2 metres high on a boundary line. I know that any non permanent structures, for example sheds, can be up to 4 metres high.

We have got an issue with a proposed deck at the moment. It is in our clients back garden but their back garden goes between two neighbours front gardens. Im meeting with an architect today. I will let you know what he thinks.

Holland Landscapes
    Participant

I asked the architect, he said there are certain rules but off the top of his head could not remember. I checked Planning portal and found this.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking

I hope it is of use to you guys

Decking Network
    Keymaster

How sad, there are many occasions when people are illadvised about decking and what is and isn’t allowed.

There should be more information out in the open about correct construction, materials and regulations – perhaps The Decking Network could lead the way…

Karl 

Decking Network
    Keymaster

Hear, hear.

Greeentoplandscapes
    Participant

I have recently had an experience with this subject and it has proved to be a pain but we will get around it.

When the inspector visited the site as a result of a complaint he made it clear where  the problem had risen so to speak and that was from the void created under neat the decking which constitutes planning and also the fact that it was 20m to the highway,

The intention is to create a green wall to each tear of this proposed decking which the council approves of  though they must consider the heights created by this new decking on an unusable unsightly peace of ground.

It will be beneficial for all to clarify these projects before commencement of works to avoid allot of expense and soul searching after.

It looks good for the middle section and the top tear is fine, I will keep you posted as to the outcome in 8? weeks.

Cheers John

Greeentoplandscapes
    Participant

A visit to the planning office this afternoon to submit our planning application For Mr Jones of Newbridge Gwent, went quite well he looked over every thing and it seemed he was quite excited about the proposal of the Green walls we have planed in order to soften the aesthetics of this new proposed structure.

he expressed concerns about the appearance being to hard but with a well submitted planning application and an informal chat he was quite excited at the possibility of a well produced new feature and may be an example of how it should be done.

It has been a learning kerb for myself which will only put me in good stead for the future of which my clients can only benefit from.

Let it be also said tat in this case I have been so fortunate to have such an understanding customer as Mr Adrian Jones and of course his wife Chris, many thanks to you both.

John   

Great news John

Could you post the designs as a blog, it would be interesting to see what decisions the planners had to make.

Karl

Greeentoplandscapes
    Participant

Of course Karl, I will list all the key points shortley.

The planning in Wales is may be a little different than England.

I will keep you updated, we have a site meeting in a fortnight with Mr Chris Boardman of Caerphilly borough Council. 

To be honest I think he was looking forward to the meeting because of what we have proposed.

Cheers Johny 

nice one Johnny

I look forward to a positive outcome..

Karl

Greeentoplandscapes
    Participant

We have moved a little closer to full planning consent on a project in South Wales.

Caerphilliy Boroug Council Brought the project to a halt recently after some concerns were put to them by a passer by who turned out to be a councillor from another area. I have enclosed a link that shows another project in the area that required planning or to be taken down in the area a while back, which of course had nothing to do with Greentop Landscapes.

It may help any contractor going down this route and it has to be said the council in this case has been brilliant they have shown that they are not against these type of projects, only wish them to be done in the correct manor from which we can all benefit from. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.