Do we need decking regulations in the UK.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    Anonymous
    Inactive

There are many of us installing decks for many different clients, size, shape, elevation, situation; they are all different, is it time that we all conformed to one set of regulations to construct decking or is this a step too far……..

gallagher carpentry
    Participant

yes this is true,north american and canadian countries have a strict set of guidelines and codes,which are all subject to inspection by a qualified,government employed building inspector who has the authority to approve or condemn the structure on site……!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps a system needs to be adopted in the UK….

terence gallagher said:

yes this is true,north american and canadian countries have a strict set of guidelines and codes,which are all subject to inspection by a qualified,government employed building inspector who has the authority to approve or condemn the structure on site……!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are already regulatons in the form of various British Standards and Building Regulations. There is also a recognised Trade Association that has been in operation since 1999 – the Timber Decking Association ( TDA). The TDA is an independent, not for profit technical and advisory body that has been instrumental in interpreting British Standards and developing technical and good practice guidance in collaboration with TRADA ( see the TRADA/TDA Professionals Guide) and also publishes various technical bulletins to help designers and installers meet planning and building regulations. The TDA Code of Practice for Raised Timber Decks is incorporated by NHBC into its standards for all new homes built by NHBC registered builders. Over 165,000 architects, designers and consumers sought information from TDA in 2009.

The TDA operates “DeckMark” a quality assurance scheme developed by BM TRADA Certification for decking materials and contractors to provide those who buy materials or design and installation services to be reassured that products and practices meet TDA standards – see http://www.tda.org.uk for more.
    Steve Young
    Company Secretary
    Timber Decking Association

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great news, are the public aware about this? If so how does the TDA market this information to the pubic?

Does the TDA have a board, chair person? How can I join and what are the benefits?

Who writes your technical information and decides whether this is practicable and correct?

How many paid members do you have.

This is all great information that I would like to know, maybe I could consider joining.

Thanks for your comment

Karl

Steve Young said:

There are already regulatons in the form of various British Standards and Building Regulations. There is also a recognised Trade Association that has been in operation since 1999 – the Timber Decking Association ( TDA). The TDA is an independent, not for profit technical and advisory body that has been instrumental in interpreting British Standards and developing technical and good practice guidance in collaboration with TRADA ( see the TRADA/TDA Professionals Guide) and also publishes various technical bulletins to help designers and installers meet planning and building regulations. The TDA Code of Practice for Raised Timber Decks is incorporated by NHBC into its standards for all new homes built by NHBC registered builders. Over 165,000 architects, designers and consumers sought information from TDA in 2009.

The TDA operates “DeckMark” a quality assurance scheme developed by BM TRADA Certification for decking materials and contractors to provide those who buy materials or design and installation services to be reassured that products and practices meet TDA standards – see http://www.tda.org.uk for more.
    Steve Young
    Company Secretary

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Timber Decking Association has excellent coverage in the consumer media and is used by other organisation such as the BBC for whom TDA is the decking expert called up to comment on radio. We have a supervisory board made up of representatives from each sector of membership and a technical committee which is responsible for establishing the best practice guidance, technical bulletins and code of practice that we publish. Any one who Googles “timber decking” will see a link in the first response unpaid. We have held this position on google for a good number of years.
    With the TDA Approved Retailer network, we have some 91 members, a number of whom are involved in decking for the Olympic projects.

The commercial benefit of TDA membership is open to any business so long as it agrees to conform with The TDA Membership Charter. A key part of this is accreditation to the DeckMark quality scheme. For installers this means having their workmanship and materials specifications verfified under the scheme. DeckMark quality assessed installers find the third party recognition and ability to offer insurance backed deposit protection and warranty protection gives them the edge when bidding for contracts where the customer is looking for a high quality structure with a long service life. The TDA Code of Practice endorsed by NHBC for example is for decks with a 60 year service life.
    To find out more about becoming a members click contact us on http://www.tda.org.uk.
    Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for this Steve.

Great information, perhaps I shall give you guys a call.

I shall start another post on a question about the NHBC 60 year code of practice.

cheers

Karl

Stuart Marler
    Participant

I have been installing decking for a number of years, not one customer/designer has asked me whether I am a member or even if I have heard of the TDA.

Can you explain more about costs for joining, members benefits etc.?

Steve Young said:

The Timber Decking Association has excellent coverage in the consumer media and is used by other organisation such as the BBC for whom TDA is the decking expert called up to comment on radio. We have a supervisory board made up of representatives from each sector of membership and a technical committee which is responsible for establishing the best practice guidance, technical bulletins and code of practice that we publish. Any one who Googles “timber decking” will see a link in the first response unpaid. We have held this position on google for a good number of years.
    With the TDA Approved Retailer network, we have some 91 members, a number of whom are involved in decking for the Olympic projects.

The commercial benefit of TDA membership is open to any business so long as it agrees to conform with The TDA Membership Charter. A key part of this is accreditation to the DeckMark quality scheme. For installers this means having their workmanship and materials specifications verfified under the scheme. DeckMark quality assessed installers find the third party recognition and ability to offer insurance backed deposit protection and warranty protection gives them the edge when bidding for contracts where the customer is looking for a high quality structure with a long service life. The TDA Code of Practice endorsed by NHBC for example is for decks with a 60 year service life.
    To find out more about becoming a members click contact us on http://www.tda.org.uk.
    Steve

Stuart Marler
    Participant

Steve, for an organisation that has been going for 11 years, why do you only have 10 installer members? Only 2 designers; this is a low membership for a trade association.
    Your members or committee must have been extrmely busy answering 165,000 enquiries in one year!!

Please explain more.

Steve Young said:

Steve Young
    Company Secretary

Greeentoplandscapes
    Participant

It may be the case that there is so little regulation in this area as in many other working practises and I think we need some as every Tom , Dick and Harry will think they have the ability to construct these sometimes complicated structures that do need some professional attention.

I have heard of some terrible accidents in America where decking is still colossal in the home improvement market and will be for years to come.

Local Authority’s should see what is going on in there back yards at least and offer there consumers a little protection.

Steve Young said:

Steve Young
    Company Secretary

Stuart Marler
    Participant

Robert, nothing appeared in your answer.

Stuart
    robert jones said:

Steve Young said:

Steve Young
    Company Secretary

Hi Steve

I think the TDA is a good idea and generally does a good job. My problem is the fees, I have enquired a couple of times over the years and always been surprised by how much it costs to become a member. Its OK for major suppliers or organizations that can afford the cost, but small independent installers have enough overheads as it is. If membership was made a legal requirement it would be fair for all as we would all be operating with the same overheads but until then I will be opting out, unless you  reduce your fees in the new year, worth a try.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Robert – happy new year. The TDA supports the UK decking sector through our technical, advisory, marketing and DeckMark quality assurance roles. Funding for this comes from our members Annual subscriptions are based on the size of an individual business and start at an entry level of £900. In our experience we find that once in the TDA, installers find membership provides a definite commercial benefit and competitive advantage. The fact that NHBC now requires that raised decks are built in accordance with the TDA Code of Practice is in itselfe acting as a door opener for TDA DeckMark quality accreditted installers.

If you would like me to send you a customised membership proposal let me have your business e-mail and we will send you a pack.
    Steve Young

Director

robert jones said:

Hi Steve

I think the TDA is a good idea and generally does a good job. My problem is the fees, I have enquired a couple of times over the years and always been surprised by how much it costs to become a member. Its OK for major suppliers or organizations that can afford the cost, but small independent installers have enough overheads as it is. If membership was made a legal requirement it would be fair for all as we would all be operating with the same overheads but until then I will be opting out, unless you  reduce your fees in the new year, worth a try.

Stuart Marler
    Participant

Steve,

How can you justify this high price for membership?

If it is such good value, why do you have so few members?

Regards,

Stuart

Steve Young said:

Hello Robert – happy new year. The TDA supports the UK decking sector through our technical, advisory, marketing and DeckMark quality assurance roles. Funding for this comes from our members Annual subscriptions are based on the size of an individual business and start at an entry level of £900. In our experience we find that once in the TDA, installers find membership provides a definite commercial benefit and competitive advantage. The fact that NHBC now requires that raised decks are built in accordance with the TDA Code of Practice is in itselfe acting as a door opener for TDA DeckMark quality accreditted installers.

If you would like me to send you a customised membership proposal let me have your business e-mail and we will send you a pack.
    Steve Young

Director

robert jones said:

Hi Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.