Invisible fixings and glue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    Holland Landscapes
    Participant

I am building a deck very soon and the client is going through the motions of deciding whether to have visible or invisible screws.

While looking through the fixing instructions for this particular invisible fixing (which was recommended to me) I noticed they instruct us to use glue on the bottom of the deck boards to the joists. I have never heard of this and I don’t know of anyone else who has.

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Holland Landscapes
    Participant

The link.

You will need to go to the tech details and click the installation instructions

http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/ebty-mini-hidden-deck-fastener-pack-175-per-box.html

There is nothing wrong with applying the correct glue to decking installations.

Positives:

This will provide a sound and comprehensive installation.

This technique will remove the chances of board creek as the deck ages.

This will reduce the movement of the boards.

This is usually for higher end projects where you can charge for extras like these.

Negatives.

Probably advised to use glue as the fixings are plastic? (not strong enough to hold the deck for most hardwoods)

Cost more to install, as you can’t use cheap glue as this would be a pointless exercise  most glue for this installation would be approx £8-12 plus vat per tube…and usage rate approx 1 tube per sq m.

Can’t take deck boards up easily, if at all.

Hope this assists.

cheers

Karl

Holland Landscapes
    Participant

Thanks Karl. I think its answered my questions. I will put it to my client to see what they think.

I never been to confident with glue and hardwoods

To be honest ever since I’ve used trim head screws I have hardly laid a hidden fastener system since

The heads are so small you hardly see them. Balanced against the additional cost of the hidden system most clients go for the normal fixing

Tim

Shepherds Carpentry
    Participant

Hi Paul

I know a type of plastic clip available over here(parketdeck I think they’re called) where the installer uses Sikaflex above and beneath the plastic clip he says to stop the boards rattling in time. I don’t know however if that’s his own preference or if its a recommendation from the clip manufacturer.

Personally I don’t use glue in such a way but always have a bottle of waterproof polyurethane to hand for where it is needed, like plugs and railings etc.  Applying glue beneath each board seems a little ‘extra’ to me and I’d rather have faith in the clip and its screw to do their job without a backup.

You’re client needs to consider the fact that for invisible installation he’ll want thinner boards and the extra costs that this entails paying for the clips and your extra work in covering the same deck area with those thinner boards.

good luck with the client

Iain

Holland Landscapes
    Participant

Thanks for the replies everyone and the deck looks great Tim.

After a long chat with the client and pointing out the pros and cons of both fixing methods, the client has decided to go with the invisible fixings.

I will post photos once I have completed it.

Here is one of the framework for you.

Hardydeck Outlet
    Participant

dear Paul, invisible screws I guess you mean a clip system?

here some comments why we do not recommend this clip system:

1)  If the ipe board shrinks, it could shrink right out of the clip, especially if the installer didn’t get the joint snug against the clip. If the board cups due to lack of airflow, it will curl right out of the clip. If the board swells, it will pop the clip and buckle the board

2) If you have a damaged or miss-behaving board, you will have to do one of two things to fix it. You will have to take all the proceeding boards off, fix that board, then reset all the boards before it again. Or, you will have to cut that misbehaving board out, lay a new one in, then, face screw it into place as per the instructions that comes with the clips. Either way, not the way I want to spend my Sunday nor do I want my deck to end up with face screws in it defeating the whole purpose of hidden fasteners in the first place. 

So these are our recomendations for the clip system, furtermore, for installing your decking boards not with visible fixations and also no clip system, we recommend you to use a tool called CAMO system (click on the link for more information and illustration)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.